Newest TikTok Facts and Statistics
TikTok has grown over the last seven years to become one of the top social media platforms worldwide. Marketers and brands are turning to TikTok to sell their products or services, making TikTok one of the best social media marketing platforms for businesses.
Do you already use Facebook, YouTube, or IG for marketing? Here’s why you should consider TikTok as a marketing channel for your brand in 2023:
- Over 3 billion downloads
- Over 1 billion MAU (Monthly Active Users), sixth among the top 10 most active social media platforms.
- Mostly comprises young users within the age range of 13-60 years.
- Present in about 150 countries.
These are some eye-watering numbers. They show how TikTok’s presence and influence has only grown stronger since it first burst on the scene a few years ago with its lip syncing and dance videos. It’s been a wild ride for the app with a ton of press attention and controversy to go along with its huge success, many brands have wondered whether TikTok is here to stay, and whether the platform offers a stable home for their content.
Nobody can answer those questions, but facts and statistics tell a very clear story: TikTok is a unique force in the social media landscape. No other app matches its influence with younger audiences, and opportunities for marketers who can effectively deploy their message on the app will be greatly rewarded!
What are the TikTok facts and statistics every marketer should know in 2023?
TikTok user and demographics stats
1. Some 18 million people in the US have downloaded TikTok from the Apple App Store.
2. The top countries for watching TikTok videos are India (37%), the USA (19%), Turkey (10%), Russia (6%), and Brazil (4%).
4. Around 50% of TikTok users in the US are between 10–29 years old.
5. Gen Zers account for about 90% of the total video views on TikTok in 2023. Also, 92% of new sign-ups globally were from Gen Zers in 2020 alone.
6. TikTok is available in 75+ languages, including English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French.
7. TikTok is the most popular mobile app downloaded in 2023.
8. The platform is available in 150+ countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, LATAM, etc. Unfortunately, India banned the app in 2020.
9. There were over 200 million TikTok users in India when it was banned in 2020
11. TikTok's highest reach (for adults) is in Saudi Arabia, with about 87.9% of users over 18 years old.
TikTok marketing and advertising stats
1. In 2022, TikTok’s revenue from advertising increased annually by about 200% year over year, resulting in a total revenue of $11.04 billion.
2. TikTok has an ad reach of roughly 885 million people.
3. The platform offers five advertising tiers targeted at big brands. A very significant one is the branded hashtag challenge costing about $150,000 per day.
4. TikTok ads reach 17.9% of all internet users aged 18+.
5. 63% of all successful TikTok ads use direct communication methods to reach their audience.
6. Partnering with influential creators boosts view-through rates by about 193%.
7. TikTok ads reach 25% of female Gen Z users and 17.9% of male Gen Z users.
8. TikTok’s annual ad revenue is higher than Snapchat and Twitter combined.
9. A brand 'takeover' costs between $50K to $100K daily, with 5 million impressions guaranteed on TikTok.
10. TikTok allows marketers to add links to a landing page, an app page, or a website from a video ad campaign.
11. 90% of branded hashtag challenges generate 2.5X ROI on ad spend.
12. TikTok ads are pegged at a minimum of $500 per campaign, but you can set the ads to reach 1000 views for only $10.
13. 61% of TikTokers mentioned that they are likely to buy from brand adverts displayed to them, and 63% consider themselves brand conscious.
14. Brands are currently buying TikTok’s in-feed ads for $10 per impression with a $6,000 minimum campaign spend.
15. Brands create 3.7% of the content on TikTok.
16. 33% of customers respond better when ads refer to them directly on TikTok.
17. 50% of ads have emotional messages.
18. Challenges with hashtags cost brands $100,000+ on TikTok.
TikTok usage stats
1. The average daily time spent on TikTok is 52 minutes worldwide and 53 minutes in the U.S. alone. Plus, 8 out of 10 users use TikTok 3-4 times a day or more.
2. On average, TikTok users spend more than 1.5 hours per day on the platform
3. In Q2 of 2022, TikTok surpassed 1 billion monthly active users.
4. TikTok achieved a milestone of 3.5 billion installations in mid-2021 and was also top of the list for “downloads and revenue for non-game apps in H1 2022.”
5. TikTok is the most popular overall app downloaded worldwide.
6. Android users spend an average of 23.5 hours per month worldwide on TikTok.
7. Most people use TikTok to access funny and entertaining content.
8. TikTok has 120.5 million monthly and 30.8 million daily active users via iOS.
9. TikTok has 15.54 million daily active users and 30 million monthly active users via Android.
10. The average user opens TikTok 19 times per day.
11. Children between 4-15 years spend 91 minutes on the app.
12. According to eMarketer, 61.3% of the Gen Z population in the US access TikTok every month.
13. The U.S. users alone spend almost 500 minutes monthly on TikTok.
14. There are over 100 billion average monthly video views on TikTok.
15. Over 34% of TikTokers shoot videos daily.
16. 90% of all TikTok users access the app every day.
17. 68% of TikTok users watch other people's videos.
18. 55% of TikTok users upload their videos.
19. 41% of users have uploaded their reactions to other videos on TikTok.
20. 87.3% of videos have at least one hashtag.
TikTok for business stats
1. There are over 2 million creators promoting brand content on TikTok each month as part of their influencer campaigns – that’s up by 25% year-on-year since 2019!
2. Consumer spending on TikTok has surpassed $2.5 billion globally.
3. TikTok buyers in the US increased by 72.3%, reaching 23.7 million.
4. 42% of all TikTok revenue now comes from the U.S.
5. 50% of TikTok users who
6. TikTok influencers with 2.5 million followers charge around $800 per post.
7. Bytedance, TikTok’s parent company, has seen a drop in its valuation compared to the 2021 number of $ 400 billion to $300 billion last year.
8. Brands post an average of 3-4 posts weekly.
9. 50% of TikTok users have bought something after watching TikTok LIVE.
10. 1 in 3 TikTok live users considers TikTok their go-to place to connect with brands.
TikTok engagement stats
1. In 2020, over 1 billion videos were shared on TikTok daily, amounting to 5X since 2018.
2. 80 million new videos are posted every day on TikTok
3. 167 Million TikTok Videos Watched in an Internet Minute
4. Entertainment is the most popular category on TikTok by Hashtag Views
5. TikTok has the highest social media engagement rates per post.
6. The platform has over 600 million daily active users in China.
How can you leverage TikTok facts and statistics for social media marketing?
Four things are worth considering for effective marketing, including:
- Defining your marketing goals: brand awareness, lead generation, direct response sales, etc.
- Identifying and segmenting your target audience.
- Creating an offer tailored to your target audience.
- Determining the most effective format to reach your target audience with your offer.
The TikTok stats examined in this post can help you understand how your target audience interacts with content on the platform. With that understanding, you can create content they won't be able to resist and draw their attention to your products or services.
Mandala Cosmos can help you create marketing content that wins consistently on TikTok
Mandala Cosmos is a powerful marketing tool that gives social media marketers insights from top-performing content on social media platforms. These insights help tweak and format your content like the top-performing content.
Cosmos is free to use, it's easy, and there are tutorials and how-to videos to get you up and going straight away. Get started now!